Do You Know Where To Buy A Landscape Architect Stamp?

Landscape Architect Stamp

A recent discussion thread on Land8 got me thinking about landscape architect stamps. An anxious landscape architect candidate was seeking information about stamps. I thought this would be the perfect time to explore the topic of stamps we use (or aspire to use) to seal drawings.

A Landscape Architect’s Stamp

Seals have been used since ancient times to signify identity and authority. A landscape architect’s stamp continues this ancient traditions in our age.

The landscape architect’s seal that he or she uses to stamp drawings is a powerful symbol of professionalism and authority.

The state entrusts in you the power to seal drawings of you own work (or work done under your supervision) because you have demonstrated confidence in your competence.

Only landscape architects can seal drawings for planting plans and construction details that will be installed by others. Our abilities are unique in the design world. With your licensed landscape architect seal reside’s you professional power.

After you pass the California Supplemental Exam (CSE) for landscape architects (and you will pass), you need to buy your very own seal so you may stamp drawings.

Unfortunately, it is up to you to buy a stamp. It would be nice to get one as a prize for passing the long and rigorous licensure process, but that is not the case.

Stamp Requirements

Before discussing where to get a sealing stamp, let’s look at the stamp requirements. The Landscape Architects Technical Committee describes the stamp’s requirements and attributes in the regulations that govern landscape architects in California.

California Landscape Architect Stamp

The landscape architect stamp has all three elements:

  • date license expires
  • current date
  • license number

From the Business and Professions Code 2606 Stamp, “[t]he stamp authorized by Sections 5659 and 5673 of the Code may be purchased by the landscape architect from any convenient source, but shall be of the design illustrated here and shall be between one (1) and two (2) inches in diameter.”

While the code is silent about why bullets (solid circular elements) are required on the stamp, you can just consider it to be landscape architecture bling!

The license number is issued by the Landscape Architect’s Technical Committee after you pass the CSE exam. You need the license number before you can order the stamp.

Where to Buy a Landscape Architect Stamp?

There are several ways to acquire a proper landscape architect stamp.

Local Stationary Store

Some landscape architects simply purchase a stamp from their local stationary or office supply store. A full-service stationer can order a stamp made to your specifications. Occasionally, the store will make the stamp at an in-house shop. Most of the, however, the store will order the stamp out of a catalog. Delivery times varies depending on how and where the stamp is manufactured.

Online Stamp Specialists

Fortunately, there are a few companies that specialize in making rubber stamps. These manufacturers are experts at producing stamps and seals and usually offer an expedited service option if you need it in a hurry. One benefit of working with a specialized organization is that they already have a template of the stamp on hand. All you need to do is give them your name and license number. In a few days you will have your long-awaited stamp.

These companies can produce landscape architect stamps:

After years of study, work experience, and examinations, it is an exhilarating feeling to actually hold your stamp in your hand. Savor the moment when you seal your first drawing (unless your on a tight deadline).



Pass the California Supplemental Exam (CSE) for Landscape Architects e-book study guideIf you are looking for a study guide to help you prepare to pass the CSE the first time, check out Pass the California Supplemental Exam for Landscape Architects study guide e-book.


John is a landscape architect who is currently preparing to take the California Supplemental Exam to become licensed in California. He is currently a licensed professional landscape architect in Georgia and Florida. John graduated from California State University, Pomona with a BSLA degree in landscape architecture in 1997 and has extensive practice experience in residential and commercial landscape design.

Posted in Legal Issues, Licensure Tagged with: , , , , , , , ,

Do You Want to Pass the CSE?

You are in the right place. Learn what you need to pass the California Supplemental Exam for landscape architects the first time. This site is dedicated to aspiring landscape architects who want to get a California landscape architect license. I'll share my research for the CSE as I prepare for the exam.

Feel free to submit a question and I'll do my best to answer it here.

Good luck,

Ask Me A Question

Your message was successfully sent.
Thank You!