California Reciprocity Process

Transfer Your Landscape Architect License from Out-of-State

What if you are like me…licensed to practice landscape architecture in a state other than California? You can apply for reciprocity in California.

(If you are not licensed in any state, read the article on initial licensure in California.)

What is Reciprocity?

California’s Landscape Architecture Technical Committee (LATC) will honor your professional education and work experience¬† if you have a landscape architect license from another state IF the state’s requirements are substantially similar to California’s.

If you have passed the Landscape Architect Registration Exam (LARE) or the Uniform National Exam (UNE), you can apply for reciprocal registration in California.

Step-By-Step Guide to Reciprocal Registration in California

Follow these steps to have your license from another state honored in California:

  1. Have the testing authority send proof of registration directly to the LATC for verification.
  2. Complete the California reciprocity application. You can download the application from the LATC website.
  3. Have previous employers fill out the work experience forms provided by LATC.
  4. Register for the California Supplemental Exam (CSE) for landscape architects.
  5. Pass the CSE for landscape architects.
  6. Pay the final licensing fee and wait for your certificate.

California makes transferring your license fairly easy. For most professionals, preparing for the California Supplemental Exam is the biggest hassle. Once you pass the CSE, your virtually assured a license to practice landscape architecture in California.

For more information about California landscape architecture licensure regulations, refer to California’s Landscape Architect Technical Committee (LATC) website.




John is a landscape architect who is currently preparing to take the California Supplemental Exam to become licensed in California. He is currently a licensed professional landscape architect in Georgia and Florida. John graduated from California State University, Pomona with a BSLA degree in landscape architecture in 1997 and has extensive practice experience in residential and commercial landscape design.

Posted in Licensure Tagged with: ,

Do You Want to Pass the CSE?

You are in the right place. Learn what you need to pass the California Supplemental Exam for landscape architects the first time. This site is dedicated to aspiring landscape architects who want to get a California landscape architect license. I'll share my research for the CSE as I prepare for the exam.

Feel free to submit a question and I'll do my best to answer it here.

Good luck,

Ask Me A Question

Your message was successfully sent.
Thank You!